ChibiRemi

Online Não
Nível 5
Registado 1 ano atrás
Post(s) 33
Local Germany

1 mês atrás
Hi!

I bought some broken figures from eBay a few days ago. I cleaned and fixed most of them but one problem remains: Three of the bases that used to be white are yellow. I found some suggestions online how to fix yellowed plastic but I wanted to ask you guys if you can recommend anything specific. Maybe someone has experience with something like this?

kyoshinhei
Regular Boarder

kyoshinhei

Online Não
Nível 12
Registado 2 anos atrás
Post(s) 44
Local France

1 mês atrás
I've never tried any technique (bleaching) to revert the yellowing so I can't really comment on them but I have doubts that they work perfectly. Most of them sound like they would damage the plastic or not completely restore the white.

If the bases are supposed to be completely white without any text or drawing then what I would do is spray white paint over them and seal it with top coat.

ChibiRemi
Regular Boarder

ChibiRemi

Online Não
Nível 5
Registado 1 ano atrás
Post(s) 33
Local Germany

1 mês atrás
Yeah, I guess paint would be the safest option. Guess I have to find someone who can do that for me.

I thought about trying Retrobrite, but people usally use that for old computers or really old Star Wars figures. I kinda doubt it would work with newer plastic. q-q

kyoshinhei
Regular Boarder

kyoshinhei

Online Não
Nível 12
Registado 2 anos atrás
Post(s) 44
Local France

1 mês atrás
Honestly you could probably paint it yourself with just a can of spray paint and a can of top coat. You can find these from Tamiya or any other hobby supplies company.
Watch a few Youtube tutorials, practice a bit on something else and you should be good to go ;-)

ChibiRemi
Regular Boarder

ChibiRemi

Online Não
Nível 5
Registado 1 ano atrás
Post(s) 33
Local Germany

1 mês atrás
Well, we're talking about three trading figures, I don't know if I want to go through all that trouble for them. xD I'm not sure if it's worth it to get all that equipment. ^^'

kyoshinhei
Regular Boarder

kyoshinhei

Online Não
Nível 12
Registado 2 anos atrás
Post(s) 44
Local France

1 mês atrás
Well, if you don't plan on manipulating the figures too much in the future you could probably skip the top coat and keep the repair under 10€.
And the feeling of accomplishment is priceless :-p

But yeah, I totally understand your point ^^

ChibiRemi
Regular Boarder

ChibiRemi

Online Não
Nível 5
Registado 1 ano atrás
Post(s) 33
Local Germany

1 mês atrás
My mom said they have some white spray paint in the store she's working at and I found cheap spray clear coat on Amazon, I guess I'm gonna try this. :3

Thanks for your help!

kyoshinhei
Regular Boarder

kyoshinhei

Online Não
Nível 12
Registado 2 anos atrás
Post(s) 44
Local France

1 mês atrás
You're welcome.
Just take your time and be careful not to overspray, let each layer cure before the next and you'll be fine.
Best of luck.

Okeno
Regular Boarder

Okeno

Online Não
Nível 10
Registado 1 ano atrás
Post(s) 6
Local Canada

9 dias atrás
ChibiRemi (1 mês atrás) #27271891Hi!

I bought some broken figures from eBay a few days ago. I cleaned and fixed most of them but one problem remains: Three of the bases that used to be white are yellow. I found some suggestions online how to fix yellowed plastic but I wanted to ask you guys if you can recommend anything specific. Maybe someone has experience with something like this?

If it's only yellowed white plastic and no other colors you can try the hydrogen peroxide in the sun (or UV lamp). I've used it before and it does work. Just google it. But it will also fade other colors so if you have multiple colors, you have to watch your timing carefully or you will fade the other colors.

Topo ↑

Entre para o clube para participar na discussão.